Senior Financial Engineer, Traded Risk Financial Engineering HSBCJP00044267
London 1 day per week
6 months with likley extension
£800-£900 per day via an approved umbrella company
Financial Engineering (GRA) is a part of HSBC’s Global Risk Function which provides solutions using analytics, tools, and models to identify, measure and manage key risks.
- The Senior Quant Developer is responsible for design, build and implementation of GRA Traded Risk Quantitative libraries. The success of this library will be measured against the time to deployment, time of turnover on bugs, test KPIs
- delivery of a coding environment that is easy to use, is robust and can be fully re-used
- managing and reducing the time to develop new models with in Traded Risk
- work closely with GRA Quant Analysts, Risk IT and Front Office to create synergies across different functions and departments
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Typical Targets and Measures
- Responsible for Implementing software strategically, following best practice to ensure that solutions address the evolving business and regulatory requirements;
- Work closely with the Head of Financial Engineering to ensure smooth change management and maintenance of the system in compliance with HSBC Group standards;
- Work closely with the Quantitative Analytics teams to build software solutions that are practical, workable and comply with accounting, regulatory or other requirements;
- Ensure FIM and other applicable accounting/regulatory requirements are met. Liaise with Internal/External audit and regulators where necessary;
- Maintain focus on process optimisation and identify opportunities to enhance cost efficiency where possible (e.g. automation, outsourcing, centralisation etc).
- All issues identified and escalated with an appropriate action plan
- Reduction of EUC tools within the agreed timeframe.
- Customers / StakeholdersTraded Risk
- Risk IT
- GRA IT
- Financial Risk Transformation
- Front Office Traders and Quant Developers
- Internal and External Audit
Feedback from stakeholders on communication effectiveness.
Regular meetings with counterparts.
- Leadership & TeamworkWork with all other areas within the TTOP Global Risk Analytics teams;
- Foster a strong working relationship between the Quant Dev team and other stakeholder teams;
- Liaise and work together with key stakeholders;
- Demonstrate effective challenge to influence and ensure positive outcomes for the organisation.
- Operational Effectiveness & Control Maintain HSBC internal control standards, including timely closure of internal and external audit points together with addressing issues raised by external Regulators;
- Understand and ensure compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the areas under management; specifically, Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy;
- Ensure that there is full compliance with the Global Markets FIM.
To maintain the HSBC internal control standards including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, together with early reporting of any issues raised by external regulators.
Avoid any un-anticipated Medium / High risk audit points.
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder’s abilities)
- Manage the time-bound quantitative library project including development and ensuring that regulatory standards are met.
- Rapid response to issues as they arise. Ability to drive quickly to the heart of an issue and propose appropriate solutions.
- Realise efficiency gains through the automation and streamlining of tools and processes.
- Managing work and processes across multiple sites.
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
This is a senior role within the TTOP Global Risk Analytics matrix structure. The Senior Quant Developer will work closely with other areas within GRA and Traded Risk and will report into the Head of Financial Engineering. The role holder is required to demonstrate suitable autonomy in decision making, and will need to respond to regulatory and audit challenge.
Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements)
- The role holder is expected to be aware of the Operational Risk associated with the role and to act in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations. Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements) Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely resolution of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
Role Dimensions (e.g. balance sheet size, lending/expenditure limits, size/volume of transactions, budget. in USD’000)
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the code base
Headcount reporting to this role Direct: Indirect: Total:
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications (For the role – not the role holder. Minimum requirements of the role.)
Masters in a quantitative subject;
Demonstrable track record in top-tier global bank.
Advanced experience of application and software development.
Advanced knowledge of finance, particularly quantitative finance.
Extensive Experience of Risk and Valuation Models
Good understanding and appreciation of Regulatory requirements and audit requirements.
Experience of interacting with internal and external stakeholder groups (Business, Risk, Internal and External Audit, Compliance, Regulators).
Strong interpersonal and communication ability.
Strong knowledge of Python and core python libraries like pandas and numpy
Strong knowledge in object oriented design, software architecture and algorithms.
Knowledge with software development lifecycle/methodologies.
Knowledge of Valuation, Risk and Analytics.
Knowledge of REST, gRPC, Apache Beam, Docker and Kubernetes is a nice to have.