SAIP Business Analyst
Remote with travel to London 1 day per week
12 months contract
Role Purpose (overall high level summary of the role)
The Global Risk function comprises c. 7,000 FTE across the Risk functional areas of Financial Risk (Wholesale Market & Credit Risk, Global Risk Analytics and Retail Credit Risk) and Enterprise Risk (Operational Risk, Resilience Risk, Risk Strategy), supporting the Global Businesses (RBWM, CMB, GBM and GPB). This scale requires a high level of oversight and management, therefore necessitating the development of COO and Transformation teams within Global Risk.
The WCR&A Transformation within the Global Risk Transformation area supports the Risk function in driving transformational activity by managing a change portfolio of programmes which underpin the delivery of the re-engineering of Risk to improve its cost and risk profile, operating efficiency and service quality. In addition, the Risk Transformation area oversees regulatory programmes and other significant change programmes.
WCR&A Transformation Senior Business Analysts are at the centre of how Global Risk Transformation shapes, delivers and embeds change working with the business and our delivery partners. Primarily, the Senior Business Analyst will be responsible for managing and executing the analysis activity within one or more of the priority programmes. They will support the Requirements Management, Design, Change Management and Implementation Management activities during project delivery. Senior Business Analysts often act as experts across multiple projects and programmes simultaneously, guiding the teams on their approach to Requirements Management and other analysis activity. Senior Business Analysts will also oversee Change Management activities spanning from early change planning and audience analysis; through to designing and delivering change interventions (e.g. communications, training, support, organisation alignment); and tracking and taking actions on change readiness, adoption, and feedback. They are also ultimately responsible for Implementation Management, including planning, controlling and reporting on implementation of the change ‘product’, focusing on accelerating benefits and minimising risk during deployment. Implementation activities will also include managing implementation readiness and managing the early stages of implementation (e.g. pilot). Alongside project delivery responsibilities, the Senior Business Analyst will work closely with the Project Management Office, Process Consultants and Business Consultants to ensure analyst resources are utilised effectively and resource supply meets the needs of upcoming project demand.
The Strategic Analytics Infrastructure Platform (SAIP) Programme within WCR&A is responsible for providing the platform, tooling and infrastructure that supports the end-to-end model lifecycle from development, review, implementation and monitoring. SAIP specifically support Wholesale Credit Risk with PD, LGD and Slotting models. More recently, the model scope will cover EAD. The individual filling this role will be expected to have strong technical skills and detailed knowledge of model implementation and risk management. The specific remit for this role will be understand the upcoming EAD model development and implementations.
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder’s abilities)
• Content heavy role –Senior Business Analysts must demonstrate strong business knowledge and sound business sense, and stay abreast of the industry, business-wise and technology-wise.
• Stakeholder complexity –Senior Business Analysts will often need to gather requirements and agree designs across business stakeholders, dealing with different interests and resolving disagreements and conflicts, and sometimes needing to challenge poor requirements and design decisions. They will often attend and lead these meetings or workshops with no Global Risk Transformation supervision.
• Multi-disciplinary –Senior Business Analysts need to be able to shape business requirements and solution designs that encompass all aspects of the delivery (customer, people, process, policy, technology - system, data, infrastructure, etc). Often Senior Business Analysts will work across multiple projects at the same time.
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
The vision statement for Transformation is “To be the businesses’ primary change partner, support the implementation of the Group Strategy and make change a source of sustainable competitive advantage for HSBC”. The job is a major point of contact with the business and IT. The jobholder works independently and has a high level of flexibility to consult with the business at all levels. They will need to have the ability to work closely with and build good relationships with Software Delivery, IT Operations, Service Delivery, and with other delivery partners and Global Functions. The jobholder is expected to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously, taking a lead analyst role in larger projects, directing all analyst activity.
Management of Risk
The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks and likelihood of operational risk occurring. This will be achieved by reviewing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing global economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new processes. Effective and timely remedial action should be evidenced. Group Programmes and regional/local programmes/projects must be managed in accordance with the Group Controls Framework and with relevant FIMs. Solutions must comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements - albeit that inherent in the role is the requirement to challenge our interpretation of these requirements to ensure that we take a commercial approach to their implementation.
Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements)
The jobholder will adopt the Group Compliance Policy by escalating any identified compliance risk in liaison with, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
Senior Business Analysts adhere to the Groups standard tools and methodologies:
• Global Risk Transformation Business Consulting Framework
• Global Risk Transformation Process Reengineering Framework
• Global Risk Transformation Initiation Framework
• Global Risk Transformation C&I Framework
• Global Risk Transformation Project Management Framework
• Global Risk Transformation Programme Management Framework
• Group Standard Business Case
• Global Risk Transformation tools like Clarity
Role Dimensions (e.g. balance sheet size, lending/expenditure limits, size/volume of transactions, budget)
The Senior Business Analyst will be responsible for managing the analysis activity in at least one priority project/programme with a medium to high level of scope/complexity. The Senior Business Analyst may be required to manage a pool of Senior Business Analysts and be the main point of contact for Business Analysis
• Expert knowledge of Global Risk Transformation Business Transformation Frameworks, methodologies and best practice techniques
• A thorough understanding of the purpose, values, culture and fundamentals of Global Risk Transformation
• Outstanding understanding of HSBC Group structures, processes and objectives
• Very strong knowledge of the external environment – regulatory, political, competitors etc.
• Business re-engineering knowledge
• Advanced Business analysis, requirements gathering and design techniques
• Advanced Change management and implementation management techniques and approaches
• Proven track record as an outstanding analyst or consultant in risk management
• Overall financial services industry knowledge
• Extensive experience of using multiple analysis techniques in a change environment, with a mix of business, operations and technology focused projects
• Experience of business case development and a sound understanding of how design enablers underpin business benefits
• Strong experience of delivering change into different audiences and managing implementation in banking environments (branch, contact centre, trading floor, operations, head office etc).
• Excellent communication, inter-personal and negotiating skills
• Excellent decision making and problem solving ability
• Advanced judgmental skills to identify and resolve problems
• Experience of managing large teams and resources located remotely
• Ability to motivate and lead people, employing appropriate management styles
• Proven ability to work across regions whilst maintaining a global perspective
• Proven ability to work with senior stakeholders and business sponsors
• Proven track record of implementing credit risk models from end to end (including requirements gathering, holding working groups, running UAT and overseeing production deployment) in banking environments
• Solid understanding of the regulatory landscape and submission process
• Proven ability to create high quality presentation material
• Excellent decision making and problem solving ability
• Advanced analytical skills, including ability to query and analyse data in Excel and SQL
• Solid understanding of data flows and processes
• Experience with conducting thorough testing during the development lifecycle
• Decision Making
• Achieving Excellence
• Delivery at Pace
• Impactful communication
• Business Analysis & Design
• Business Case and Benefits Realisation
• Change and Implementation Management
• Process Re-engineering
• Planning and Plan Management
• Stakeholder Management
• Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
• Resource and Team Management
Qualifications and Accreditations
• Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) - Optional
• Lean Six Sigma Black Belt - Optional
• Degree in Business Information Systems or a related field – Optional
• Degree in business administration / management / economics, engineering and science - Optional