Role – Senior Service Designer
Rate – £650 PAYE or £843 Umbrella
Location – London, Hybrid
Duration – 12 months
If you’re looking for a career that will help you stand out, join HSBC, and fulfil your potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further. They are currently seeking an experienced individual in the role of Senior Service Designer.
HSBC Commercial Banking serves millions of businesses ranging from small enterprises, to large corporates, providing commercial customers with a full range of banking providing local support and advice in over 60 countries and territories. HSBC helps connect customers to opportunities.
We are recruiting a Service Design Led to join a forward-thinking, creative, dynamic team to help us deliver an exceptional Customer Experience for our Corporate customers globally.
Our customers want to focus on building and growing their businesses – and we want to support them in doing that by removing their financial stresses and helping them to achieve their business goals. This means that our experience vision is to both strengthen our customers’ finances and reduce the emotional strains they feel. We’re excited to bring together the emotional and financial side of banking to make a difference for our customers and our company.
To support our customer experience vision, we’re changing the way we think and work across the Global Corporate Bank (GCMB). Our Customer Experience Design team has been established to deliver material improvements for our customers and colleagues, while also transforming GCMB to be a customer-led organisation. As part of CXD, our team of Service Designers support these goals by helping our business to fundamentally change the way we create and deliver solutions.
The role of Service Design Lead will report into the Service Design Director and be responsible for helping to lead and drive the implementation of the Customer Experience vision across GCMB, whilst also growing our people and ways of working. This role provides an opportunity to work with global cross-functional teams and to influence the direction of our business and senior leaders. In short, you can have a direct impact on shaping and delivering key experiences for millions of customers and thousands of colleagues around the world.
We are looking for people who have a strong understanding and belief in design thinking principles, proven experience in transformative change and the requisite skills to deliver valuable outcomes. As a service designer you deeply understand the relationship between creating value for the customer and the business, as well as what it takes to make it a reality. You are able to apply your craft to solving the most challenging business problems and adept in creating compelling solutions. You feel as comfortable creating desirable services as you do defining viable propositions and feasible operating models.
You will have responsibility to actively contribute to the CXD practice, assessing the performance of colleagues and providing career guidance to junior members of the team in both projects and within your immediate reporting line. As a Service Design Lead, you’ll also have the opportunity to help create the framework and tools that can elevate the quality and utility of the discipline across multiple projects at scale.
- Supporting and providing oversight on all aspects of Service Design, as well as shaping the breadth of Service Design activities.
- Working closely with Design Directors to translate business problems into project plans, including shaping briefs, timelines and the resources needed to successfully deliver.
- Leading conversations with senior stakeholders to influence and shape the direction and to ensure we build the right framework to execute successfully.
- Identifying opportunities, generating ideas, and crafting how people will interact with the products and services we design
- Crafting end-to-end and front-to-back solutions with global, cross-functional teams to deliver a future-fit banking ecosystem.
- Creating and embedding customer (and business!) empathy and insights at all levels of the organisation.
- Strengthening the way teams define problems and hypotheses.
- Leading cross-functional teams in researching, generating, and testing ideas, and incorporating customer feedback into solutions.
- Building capabilities and knowledge within our CXD team on the latest tools and techniques, customer needs, behaviour and perceptions, and the business and industry drivers.
- Inspiring and mentoring the wider CMB team to build and evolve our Design Thinking mind-set, tools, and techniques, including facilitating and leading interactive Design Thinking sessions as a delivery lead or co-facilitator.
- Further generating awareness, interest and support for Service Design and Design Thinking across the business.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven experience within Service Design, specifically leading strategic design projects in a large and complex organisation.
- Strong competency in holistic problem solving across end-to-end journeys and front-to-back environments.
- Competency in defining propositions and services that create measurable value for the customer and business.
- Skilled in communicating the value of design and exemplary customer / colleague experience.
- Comfortable building evidence-based recommendations with solid commercial rationale.
- Strong analytical skills, drawing on qualitative and quantitative techniques to identify opportunities and present a compelling vision.
- Comfortable working with technically complex products and dispersed stakeholder groups.
- Experience as a manager / leader is essential.
- Ability to coach, guide and mentor junior members of the team and others new to Service Design in order to continue to build a high-performance team.
- Outstanding experience understanding and changing customer behaviour.
- Exceptional relationship management and influencing skills, outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels.
- A sound understanding of the financial sector is essential with previous experience of Service Design / Strategy / Organisational Design in this sector is preferred.
- Proven ability to lead teams in applying the Design Thinking methodology to develop experiences in creative ways.
- Proven success in influencing senior leaders to change ways of working and adopt more customer centric decision making, creating awareness and advocacy for the customer and work you do.
- Experience delivering multi-channel designs or solutions across large-scale programs and businesses.
- Ability to lead on the design and implementation of experiences across human and digital channels.
- Experienced in facilitating end-to-end collaborative design sessions, including with large and / or senior audiences across multiple geographies.
- A genuine and relentless passion for creating customer-centric solutions that are also commercially viable and differentiating.
- A natural ability to quickly digest and understand complex information to help teams solve problems and translate into experience designs.
- Ability to translate requests into briefs (problems and hypotheses to solve) that are both clear and motivating for the team and stakeholders.
- Ability to work with senior stakeholders to influence and agree strategic direction and ensure support in executing.
- A degree or equivalent in human-centred design, psychology, research, engineering, or a similar background.