10 Month Contract
Pay: up to £25.50 per hour
The Computational Biology Department supports Drug Discovery and Development at GSK Pharmaceuticals R&D through the integrative analysis of internal and external biomedical data. Our analysis competencies are quite diverse and include target identification and validation, genetics, pathways and networks, disease indications, text mining, molecular evolution, gene expression, microbiome/host pathogen analysis, drug repositioning and machine learning. We contribute to multiple phases of the drug development pipeline and our work results in developing new medicines for important diseases of unmet medical need.
We currently have multiple openings for skilled Computational Biologists within the GSK Computational Biology Department. Your primary role as a Computational Biologist will be to identify, develop, implement and use computational biology methods to impact drug discovery and development. Applicants should have a strong background in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science and/or genomics, combined with knowledge of biology. You should be comfortable working in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment, and you will be expected to communicate complex informatics principles, methods, analyses and results to scientists from diverse backgrounds. Furthermore, you will be encouraged to develop and advance your computational biology skills as well as your internal and external scientific profile through presentations and peer-reviewed publications. GSK offers excellent work-life balance for its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Recent PhD/Masters in Computational biology, bioinformatics, computational sciences or biomedical/biological sciences.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams.
- Expertise in a programming language (such as R, Python or Perl) for complex data analysis.
- Knowledge of genome-wide genetic, genomic, pathway and network methods.
- Skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyze complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Knowledge of and experience with common bioinformatics databases, resources and tools.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Demonstrated experience in processing multiple large scale genomic and genetic platforms, such as transcriptomic, proteomic or Next Generation sequencing data, including understanding of pathway/network analyses.
- Statistical analysis skills
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
All profiles will be reviewed against the required skills and experience. Due to the high number of applications, we will only be able to respond to successful applicants in the first instance. We thank you for your interest and the time taken to apply.