Editor – Behind the Science
Position: Full time, 12-month contract
Location: GSK House, London (Remote Working)
We are a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose to improve the quality of human life by helping people do more, feel better, live longer. The greatest contribution we make is to improve the health of people around the world. In 2021 that included delivering 1.7 billion medicines, over 767 million vaccines and 3.7 billion consumer healthcare products.
We have three global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. In July 2022 we will demerge our Consumer Healthcare business and create two world-class companies – one focused on pharmaceuticals and vaccines and one focused on consumer healthcare. The resulting new GSK will be a growth company with new ambitions for patients and shareholders and an overarching purpose to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together.
About the role
Day one of new GSK will see our existing global corporate website replaced by a new website with a bold new look and a world class content and visitor experience. A key component of new gsk.com will be Behind the Science. The purpose of this role is to turn Behind the Science from the editorial section of our website into an industry leading, journalistic, science-led, content hub, which is core to our content marketing strategy.
To achieve this, we’re looking for someone who can create the editorial strategy and mine stories from across the business and wider industry on a broad range of topics. The successful candidate will both write and commission others to write engaging articles that leave readers searching for more and subscribing to Behind the Science for content alerts. They should enjoy working on videos and podcasts too, and across multiple topics to ensure the spectrum of GSK’s work is being represented and in the right way. They will also excel at amplification, owning a budget and working with our social media and SEO experts on campaigns. Metrics and insights will also be a key step in the cycle to ensure continuous improvement.
· Passion for creating science and healthcare content, and communicating scientific information to different target audiences
· 8+ years professional experience with excellent editorial writing skills – a journalistic background is strongly preferred
· Understanding of the power of imagery and video for digital storytelling, with experience commissioning this content for external audiences
· Understanding of corporate websites and social media channels, and how they can be used to deliver as part of a multichannel digital content strategy
· Knowledge of web design and UX, ideally with experience of content management systems
· Experience accessing and applying digital insights to set targets for and improve future content and campaigns
· Experience writing content strategies and working with content calendars
· Strong project management and stakeholder management skills
· Educated to life sciences degree level and/or healthcare industry experience
· Understanding of the ABPI Code of Practice beneficial, but not essential
· Write and deliver against a content strategy for Behind the Science
· Mine stories and work with stakeholders to create an impactful content calendar that where necessary feeds into the wider Communications & Government Affairs content calendar
· Partner with internal and external subject matter experts to create Behind the Science content, writing some and commissioning others
· Work with the Content Production and Visual Identity team to create visual, moving image and audio content
· Co-create and deliver compelling social media and SEO campaigns to amplify the reach of Behind the Science and draw new audiences to gsk.com
· Create and manage a regular Behind the Science content alert for subscribers to increase Behind the Science page views and subscriber numbers
· Continually assess and apply digital insights to set targets for and improve future content and social media campaigns
· Build and publish content on gsk.com and GSK’s social media channels
· Work closely with the other members of the Digital and Visual Identity team