Senior Scientist – Cellular Biology, Novel Human Genetics Research Unit, Stevenage
Location: Stevenage, UK
Department: Novel Human Genetics Research Unit, GSK R&D
Pay rate: Up to £47 per hour
Contract Length: 6 Months
The Novel Human Genetics research unit at GSK comprises a multidisciplinary team that utilises deep scientific knowledge and technical capabilities to identify and validate novel therapeutic targets and undertake drug discovery from early stage discovery through to phase 1 clinical trials.
An exciting opportunity is available for a talented, highly-motivated cell biologist position within the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit, Stevenage. You will be responsible for the conceptual design and lab-based execution of in vitro experiments for target validation and mechanism of action studies to support pipeline projects. You will be responsible for integrating analyses and interpreting the output of these studies.
You will focus on designing and executing key experimental studies in a timely and efficient manner, whilst maintaining the highest scientific standards and compliance. You will need strong hands-on experience in multiple cellular assay systems. In order to execute target validation and early drug discovery successfully, you will be required to work independently and as part of a team. You will be a strong team player and a good communicator. This role would suit a candidate with the aspiration to make critical lab-based contributions to early drug discovery and target validation.
- Design and implementation of experiments in recombinant and primary cellular systems to support target validation and pharmacological characterisation for drug discovery. Including the following;
- Cell culture including maintenance of engineered cell lines and preparation and maintenance of primary cells
- qPCR and protein analysis
- Gene editing using for example CRISPR-based methods
- Become a core part of the team with excellent communication skills. Work in a matrix team environment to enable delivery of project and department objectives to the highest possible scientific standards.
- Ensure compliance with all GSK R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, standards and training, and safety.
- PhD and postdoc, or equivalent experience, in in vitro cellular experiments.
- Demonstrated expertise across a broad range of cellular assay systems, including primary cells and engineered cell lines.
- Experience in a broad range of cellular and molecular biology techniques including cell culture and PCR.
· Excellent attention to detail in method development and data analysis. Strong analytical skills coupled with the ability to problem solve.
· Strong behaviours for working within multidisciplinary teams. Excellent team-working, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Highly committed, enthusiastic, self-motivated with a passion for learning and a strong focus on personal development.
· Track record of applying cellular functional analysis for target validation and pharmacological characterisation.
· Knowledge of pharmacological principles and the ability to interpret the effects of drugs in complex cellular assay systems in terms of a molecular mechanism of action.
· Demonstrated experience in effective communications and presentations in matrix team environment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of drug discovery.