Up to £16 per hour PAYE
12 month contract
The Development Scientist supports new product development of Oral Care formulations (varying from liquids, semi-solids to tablets) by developing formulations and/or providing analysis and evaluation of material and products at all stages of the development process, taking into account scientific and timing objectives. This individual would have various levels of involvement in development and validation of analytical methods, routine testing of products, working with outsourcing partners and transfer of methods to other sites where required.
· Manages or contributes to one or more projects in support of departmental plans. Exercises a wide degree of technical sophistication in accomplishing assigned objectives.
· Designs experiments and carries out scientific work with an awareness of state-of-the-art technology. Creates research plans to fit overall project objectives.
· Maintains awareness of scientific literature to assist work progression and understanding.
· Writes or contributes to technical papers..
· Maintains precise experimental records; issues reports at project milestones; writes invention records to protect scientific discoveries.
· Sets and resets priorities to remain focused on objectives in rapidly changing circumstances.
· Ensures all work is conducted in accordance with written procedures (e.g. quality and safety), methods & batch documents, etc.
· Identify, challenge, develop and implement written procedures (e.g. quality and safety), methods & batch documents, etc.
· Ensures all work is conducted following good scientific practice (always) and Good Manufacturing Practice (where required).
· Takes responsibility for specific equipment in accordance with site procedures.
· Produces or contributes to, departmental quality documentation (including SOP’s, batch documentation, validation protocols & reports).
· Highlights own training needs and working with manager develop a training plan and achieve training goals.
· Trains self and others in new technology and laboratory responsibilities (including coaching, mentoring and elements of personal development).
· Conducts general problem solving or lead problem solving initiatives using formal procedures.
· Specific safety and quality responsibilities for department and site (e.g. GMP, Audits, Health &
· Responsible for the development and implementation of the technical transfer of methods or
· Develops knowledge of regulations impacting areas of work (e.g. EP/USP/ICH)
• Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
• Knowledge of R&D process and associated commercial environment.
• Clear communicator in both oral and written form with both internal departments and external organisations.
• Demonstrates ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams, and multitask.
• An ability to organise and report study data from internal and external sources.
• Flair for creativity and innovation
• Familiarity with advanced analytical techniques such as Mass spectroscopy and have working experience with conventional analytical techniques such as IC, ISE, HPLC and GC
• Awareness on pre-formulation techniques such as rheology and physical characterisation techniques
• Computer literate.
• Basic understanding of statistics and its application to experimental work.