PowerBI Developer: DAX, SQL, Data
- Role is initially working from Home
- GSK are recruiting for 2 positions within an exciting project team
This is an exciting opportunity to join and support GSK Consumer Healthcare in its journey to becoming a more data driven organisation. This means providing our teams with easy access to relevant and timely data to inform faster and more insight driven decision making. In addition, this will enable faster feedback on the impact of change as the organisation undergoes agile transformation and transition to a ‘test and learn’ approach. Data is a key tenet underpinning our transformation journey following the joint venture with Pfizer this year and our 3-year plan to spin off into a separate company.
The main purpose of the Data Innovation function is to act as a liaison between business and technology teams to focus on the identification, prioritisation and delivery of business insights in the form of reporting dashboards, presentations and ad-hoc analysis that will be used to drive business decisions and actions both strategically and operationally.
We now seek a permanent data product developer to create, develop, and manage a suite of data sets, reports and dashboards that will turn the underlying data into decision making tools for senior and operational management.
The main responsibility of this role is to understand the organisations reporting needs and delivering data products and visualisation solutions to address them. This includes analysis and design, development, testing, security and release into live and embedding within an organisation.
Key activities will include handing data ingestion, building data models and defining reporting measures to provide valuable insights through visualisations and information presentation.
Describe the key deliverables to be achieved by the post holder and the ongoing responsibilities of the role
The responsibilities of our Report Developers are to work as part of a cross functional scrum teams providing top end user experience and design by
- Design, build and deploy data solutions (primarily on Azure and Power BI but not exclusively),
a. In the form of rapid prototyping of data products and Dashboards to demonstrate proof of concept /value
- Create visualizations and reports for requested data and development of a single plane of glass for multiple data sources.
- Designing and building effective dashboard layouts and reports. Utilising the navigation features to guide user to insights through a compelling data-driven story.
- Development of Power BI data ingestion using Power Query, Dataflows, tabular modelling and DAX measure definition.
- Using design led thinking, information design and selection of appropriate visualisations. Supported by UX/UI experts and product teams with iterative development based on regular feedback.
- Extensive database development experience in Data Analysis and Data modelling, Data Warehousing, Microsoft SQL, MySQL
- Helping the business stakeholders envision the future and how their work will need to change to support the future.
- Creation of tools to collect and store data, and feedback
- Develop and update technical documentation.
- Working with our testing & support team to manage the processes around client User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and fixing any defects identified.
- Security design including the implementation of row-level security if required. Analysis of
- Delivery of the product through the development and testing environments into live, production workspaces. Advising on change control, embedding and user training needs.
- Work in a cross functional delivery team
- Proven experience as a BI/Data Developer/analyst
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Azure resources;
- Azure SQL DB / DW
- Data Factory
- Storage Accounts (Blob Store / Data Lake)
- SQL - preferable T-SQL
- Industry experience 2+ years particularly with Power BI, Qlik or Tableau
- Background in data analysis and/or data warehouse design (eg dimensional modelling)
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Worked as an effective member of a scrum team using modern agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills, enough to deal with internal and external contacts at all levels, including the ability to communicate effectively with people of different nationalities/cultures working in different time zones
- Power Query - ingestion of various data sources
- DAX - for complex measure development
- Power BI Service - workspaces, apps, security
- Understanding of Pro vs. Premium features and suitability
- Experience working with Azure Dev Ops
- Familiarity with C#, Python or other object-oriented programming languages
- Knowledge of Cosmos DB, Databricks, and Azure Stream Analytics a plus