Project Manager (Technology)
6 month contract with the view to extend
Up to £600 per day via umbrella only
Remote / Brentford
GSK has announced that it will separate into two new companies, one that is a leading biopharma company (“New GSK”) and one that will become a leading consumer healthcare company (“New CH”). A two-year separation programme has been launched to deliver the separation of New CH from GSK with the intent to have New CH operationally independent from December 2021 and legal separation in mid 2020.
Within the separation programme, the technology organisation has undertaken analysis to confirm the scope of applications and other technology required to support New CH at and after separation. The technology organisation is now moving into a period of detailed planning for each application, including applications that are currently shared by GSK and CH, and those applications that are used exclusively by CH.
There are more than five hundred applications used exclusively by CH today and each will require a detailed separation delivery plan. This plan will describe and manage the technical and non-technical activities associated with separating the application from GSK. Each application will have a variety of stakeholders (e.g. technical owners, business users / sponsors, associated infrastructure services leads, programme staff at various levels) and will be associated with numerous dependencies intra- and inter- team.
The programme seeks three project managers to join the existing team to allow a better distribution of workload and improved efficiency of execution. These roles are initially budgeted for six months to align with detailed planning and the start of separation delivery execution in some areas.
Qualities and Experience
The ideal candidates for these roles will have the following skills/qualities and experience:
• Core project management skills, including but not limited to
o Risk and issue identification and management
o Action identification and tracking
o Understanding of critical path and ability to manage it
o Accurate and concise status reporting
• Excellent communication skills
o Good written and verbal skills suited to fast-paced, professional setting
o Experience and comfort with virtual communication tools such as MS Teams (or similar) online collaboration tools
o Comfortable with and effective at working in virtual teams (i.e. even without the pandemic, many stakeholders are in other timezones around the world)
• General technology understanding
o Previous experience of IT delivery project management a significant plus due to the foundational technology understanding it is likely to have provided
o Existing understanding of or willingness to absorb/learn achronyms / buzz words
o NB - Project managers are not expected to be expert technologists
• Experience working in a large, global programme a significant plus due to resulting experience of fitting into large governance structures and adhering to standardised processes
• Ability to cope with significant levels of uncertainty whilst maintaining forward motion
• Willing to “roll up sleeves” when required (e.g. to identify the real root cause of a blocker or to assist a resource who is struggling and needs a quick injection of hands-on support)
• NB - Pharmaceutical / Consumer Health industry experience is not required
The project managers’ duties will include:
1. Supports their Tech Function Lead counterparts to deliver against objectives and deadlines
2. Manages typical project tools on behalf of their Tech Function Lead
• RAID Log
• Project Plan
• Status Reports
3. Works with Planning Lead and / or PMO to ensure that the CH Rehosting workstream is aware of significant risks / issues within the tech function the project manager supports
4. Facilitates meetings related to the tech function s/he supports
5. Participates in meetings related to the tech function s/he supports, at times representing on behalf of the Tech Function Lead
6. Adapts to and adheres to the separation programmes’ ways of working and PMO processes
All profiles will be reviewed against the required skills and experience. Due to the high number of applications we will only be able to respond to successful applicants in the first instance. We thank you for your interest and the time taken to apply!
Join GSK’s vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Who will I be working with?