Controls and Automation Technician
Contract until end of year with view to extend
Up to £26 per hour PAYE
To ensure the site is exceeding its required Customer Service level, the Automation Technician will react rapidly; apply standard approach to fault finding and rectification, to minimize MTTR. Drive Continuous Improvement aligned to Site Goals. Generate innovative and creative engineering solutions to reduce day to day performance variation, deliver effective maintenance and minor capital project and drive continuous improvement in safety; quality; customer service and cost
• Work individually and within a team to minimize MTTR. Work effectively on prioritized automation and related breakdowns and issues.
• Diagnose and rectify the root cause of faults, in a timely logical manner, utilizing available resources, evidence, appropriate documentation, tools and techniques.
• Following the agreed escalation process and use the correct fault finding tools at each step of the process.
• Initiate, own and assist with the resolution of RCAs (Root Cause Analyses) and Deviation AARs and completion of resulting actions.
• Responsible for contributing to the accountability process in own local area, updating line boards with Engineering Quality, Safety and Maintenance issues.
• Perform corrective and planned maintenance tasks and ensure the correct closure of works orders i.e. PMs and CMs from MERPs including Safety and Quality Critical maintenance tasks, completion of resulting actions from deviations; Safety ZAP’s; accident/incident investigations and breakdown/equipment performance issues
• Develop best practices for carrying out maintenance tasks in the form of Engineering documentation.
• Maintain effective Engineering documents, fault finding guides and maintenance instructions.
• Assist in the review of obsolescence & help formulate replacement plans on behalf of the Automation Team and stay current on developments in the field of instrumentation, control technology and GSK Standards
• Ensure compliant and effective use of removing and returning parts to engineering stores.
• Act as a coach/mentor to other member of the Engineering Department & support the definition and delivery of the automation skills training for all applicable engineering staff on site, including development of the modules for instrumentation and control systems.
• Deliver appropriate training to Operations & GEMBA to determine any gaps.
• Drive Continuous Improvement aligned to Site Goals
• Implement continuous improvement programmes and projects including the development and optimization of operation and maintenance procedures for instrumentation and automation / control systems.
• Assist and deliver improvement projects to assist with reduction of breakdowns and short stops.
• Support and work with the Production Engineers to ensure effective transfer of information and knowledge.
• This role will require the individual to work in many different areas, therefore it is key to maintain general skills but also be a technical expert on specific processes and or types of equipment.
• Ensure compliance with site standard operating procedures and My learning.
• Attend/complete compliance training e.g. GMP, SOP, as specified in individual learning plans.
• To ensure that GMP, Quality, Health and Safety processes are adhered to in all aspects of the role.
• Follow engineering safe practices e.g. LOTO / PTW
Leadership – Managing Self
• To demonstrate the key capabilities, behaviours and values as set out in the GSK Leadership Profile for “Managing Self”.
Required skills & experience:
• Experience of working in an FMCH and GMP compliant environment
• Proven capability of designing, specifying, managing and improving control and automation systems including –
• PLC programs. (eg: Siemens S5, S7. Mitsubishi.)
• Able to swap out & reprogram a VSD (various makes) from scratch & understand extensively the principles & effect of changes.
• Understand & challenge weighing applications & methods of control.
• Demonstrated understanding of Instrumentation (E &H, Micro Motion, Rosemount, IFM)
• Understanding of SCADA & PC networks in an industrial environment, for control of plant.
• Ability to fault find network & communication faults (Ethernet, Profibus, RS485, RS232 etc)
• Stepper Drives and Servo Drive Motion control
• Able to interrogate & modify, setup drive controls & a displayed knowledge of principles.
• Significant problem solving skills with a proven record of resolving major issues at their root cause through working with the engineering, technical and operational teams
• Experience in developing close links with key site customers (quality, operations, EHS)
• Demonstrated knowledge of engineering standards and statutory requirements for plant, machinery and workplaces applicable to a large volume consumer products factory
• To have displayed the behaviour/passion to encourage and assist the development of the technicians and others
• Proven communication skills whilst working in a team
• Capable of working with suppliers to resolve issues
All profiles will be reviewed against the required skills and experience. Due to the high number of applications we will only be able to respond to successful applicants in the first instance. We thank you for your interest and the time taken to apply!
Join GSK’s vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Who will I be working with?