The GSK Consumer Healthcare R&D team supports the development of leading global brands in Consumer Health care. As part of Cross-category Microbiology team, the Microbiology Scientist will provide expert microbiological advice and technical support to the R&D project teams.
Reporting to the Microbiology Team Leader the Microbiology Scientist will provide microbiology support for the delivery of new products, product development, methods, claims and technology development programmes that contribute to the growth of the Consumer Health Business. The role requies collaborative, positive relationship with New Product Research, New Product Development, Regulatory Affairs and manufacturing Microbiology operations.
- Successfully manage the Microbiology aspects of R&D projects, by first seeking to understand key objectives, success criteria, deliverables & timings and structuring their work accordingly.
- Ensure appropriate microbiology testing is built into the Project plan and all results are delivered on time.This would include for example, preparing Microbiology Risk Assessments for Raw Materials/Finished Product, inputing into Stability study plans etc.
- Prepare Technical Readiness Reports ensuring there is accurate interpretation of the data and clear scientific conclusion to support decision making.
- Design meaningful experiments with key principles for Design of Experiment (DoE) and conducts laboratory work with Good Laboratory practice.
- Maintain adherence to documented procedures for all aspects of laboratory work, ensuring that all relevant information concerning samples is recorded, that samples are handled correctly, and that all necessary records and quality data are maintained
- Reviews internal and external Microbiology data for the projects, highlighting alerts/outages along with appropriate action needed.
- Review and update procedures and documentation (e.g. SOPs, test methods, validations) to ensure compliance.
- Escalates out of specification and alerts to key business stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Utilises scientific principles during root cause analysis to assist in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Ensure adherence of Quality and EHS practices and provide support for the internal and external audits and inspections.
- Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent in Microbiology (or degree which includes a significant Microbiology component)
- Industrial microbiology, knowledge of antimicrobials & preservatives.
- Understanding of Quality, EHS, Regulatory requirements/principles.
- Experience of working in the Microbiology laboratory, where independent design of experiments are required.
- Industry experience (preferably Health/Pharmaceutical or Cosmetic).
- Good knowledge of product development process and Microbiology requirements within Quality and compliance framework
- This technical understanding is needed for R&D compliance.
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiations skills using Technical expertise. Ability to facilitate alignment and collaboration across functions.
- Demonstrating proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel
Join GSK’s vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Who will I be working with?